Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Silk Elements Mixed Silk Review

I am a loyal Mixed Chicks customer. But my normal supply costs over $100 and then I have to wait for it ship. I always wait to the last minute so by the time I order I have nothing to put in my hair. I ran out back in June. Around the same time, I just happened to get a flyer from Sally Beauty Supply in the mail. I hardly ever look through it but lucky I did because they were advertising for a new product, Mixed Silk.


Mixed Silk "Natural Curls for "Natural Girls"

The slogan,'Natural Curls for Natural Girls', caught my eye. Oh, goodie! Another product for mixed hair. As far as I knew, Mixed Chicks had the market cornered.

I don't remember how I found Mixed Chicks. I think it was when I was Googling general information on mixed/biracial issues. I ordered the no frizz Trio in July of 2009, and I was hooked. Before I discovered Mixed Chicks, I was using Pantene Relaxed & Natural shampoo and conditioner and then I would use whatever gel my mom had or nothing at all to style. My hair would just do what it did and if it looked jacked I'd put it in a ponytail.

About my hair, it's a little longer than shoulder length. I use no chemical processing in my hair at all. It's very thick. The strands themselves are very fine. Without product it is poofy and frizzy. I don't think poofy is a word but who cares. You know what I mean.

I was short on funds and needed some hair product stat. I read some reviews on the Mixed Silk and decided to buy. It was regularly $7.99 at Sally Beauty Supply but I had their club card so I got them at $7.19 ea. I only purchased the Nourishing Deep Conditioner and Leave-In conditioner. I don't shampoo my hair regularly. I do what is called co-washing with a deep conditioner. That way I keep my natural oils so my hair isn't super dry. I still had the shampoo from the Mixed Chicks for when I do shampoo so there was no need for me to purchase the Mixed Silk one.


I have been using the Mixed Silk for over 4 months now so I think I can give it a fair review. The Nourishing Deep Conditioner comes in a 12 oz. tub. The tub can be somewhat irritating because I have to scoop the product out and since its not very thick, I can loose some product while trying to get it to my hair. The product has a runny yogurt consistency. The description at http://www.sallybeauty.com/ says that this product hydrates and detangles, leaves curls bouncy, and provides intensive moisture. The deep conditioner does work as a detangler, it makes it easier to comb through my hair. My hair feels a little bit softer after I rinse it out. But I don't think if makes too much of a difference in the moisture area, even though I can tell a difference when I skip this step on cheat days.

The Leave-in conditioner is available in a 12 oz. bottle which features a pump. The pump is nice because I can get the product directly into my palm. But each pump doesn't give out much product so I have to pump it alot to get enough. I feel like I'm working an old school water pump. I loose a lot of this product down my arms because of the consistency. It's very snot like. Depending on how much I put in, my hair sometimes dries with a crunchy texture. But most of the time my curls stay defined and soft as long as I don't mess with my hair.

One thing I have noticed since starting to use this product is that my curl is lost more easily. The frizz I normally get from putting it up in a ponytail or sleeping on it seems intensified. Sometimes, strands of hair will become almost completely straight. My curls seem more relaxed than normal. I also have some breakage at my hairline. I'm not positive if this is from the product or just a change in my hair texture as I get older. I think I will know better once I get back to the Mixed Chicks.

Overall, Silk Elements  Mixed Silk is a good runner up. It's probably the only one considering the number of products made specifically for Mixed hair. I still prefer Mixed Chicks. But these products will work in a pinch.

If you would like to purchase Mixed Silk you can stop by a Sally Beauty Supply or order online at http://www.sallybeauty.com/.

If you are interested in Mixed Chicks, check out this link http://www.mixedchicks.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment